Monday, May 9, 2011

Gardening Time

We are experiencing summer.  It will probably last 4 days.  I very much want to plant all the lovely little things.  But I know what will happen.

It will be great for 4 days.
We will have a massive cold front, followed closely by thunderstorms and damaging winds.
It will be nice again for 2 days.
We will have a massive frost.
Warm weather will return.  People will get very excited.  Camping will happen.
May 24th will be wet and cold.
There will be another frost.
All planting will have to be completed by June 2, or else!
OK, June 10th at the latest, really.

But I am weak.

Yesterday was Mother's Day.  My Darling Hubby gave me an envelope marked "Angry Mob Supplies".  It's part of a gag from Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.  He and the girls took me to a garden centre.  My favourite garden centre.

I got plants. A lovely false spirea for the shady part of the garden.  Some mint for the patch of ground by the garage where *nothing* grows.  Yes, it may take over.  I don't care.  It's not thistles.

We walked through the annuals section.  They were beautiful.  They called to me.  I had to be strong.  Only hardy-ish things today!  And maybe some herbs.  And some lettuce to put in a planter that I can coddle.  But nothing that can't take the cold I know is coming.

Did I mention I'm weak?

And that is why there is a tomato plant in my kitchen.

We're thinking of calling her Selma.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I was weeding and raking this weekend but in the back of my mind I was thinking "BAH WHAT'S THE POINT" because you just KNOW it will get rainy and crappy and freezing cold soon. And if I put in seeds they will rot or be eaten by the earwigs.

    And yet? I WANT TO BUY ALL THE GARDENING THINGS.

    This time of year torments us.

    (ETA: My verification word was "rebelers". HA!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks CinnamonOpus.

    Also,
    GAH! A Typo! Lingering there until well after 6pm!
    Fixed now. Thanks Darling Hubby.

    ReplyDelete