Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lettuce! From the garden!

Wow, it looks like summer hit suddenly.  It's a Hot, Hazy and Humid day.   How hot? The forecast says 40 °C with the Humidex.  That's 104 °F for folks visiting from the United States.

And so, a cool lunch for a hot day:

(Yes, the picture quality isn't that good.  I took this with my phone.)
Today the girls have dumplings (pork and veg) that I boiled in the microwave.  I do not want to add heat today.  And do you see that green, leafy stuff?  It's Buttercrunch lettuce.  Fresh.  Picked from the planter just a few minutes before the photo was taken.     Happy dance!

The girls also have snap peas (not from the garden - yet), yellow pepper (again, not yet from the garden), purple grapes, a strawberry and some blueberries.  Not pictured: large stainless steel water bottles and ice packs.

As much as I'd love to plant berries in the yard, I don't think it's going to happen.  We live very close to a pond, and get lots of wild visitors.  I doubt we'd ever harvest a single berry.  But that's OK.  We also live very close to an awesome Farmer's Market, and there are some local Farm Markets that should be opening in the next couple of weeks.


Added to What's For Lunch Wednesday

2 comments:

  1. YUM!! I love the idea of boiling in the microwave! I never want to make pasta on hot days for that reason, so thanks for the new idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete