Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Math Salad

Today Pumpkin's class is having a Math Party.  I was volunteered to make a snack.  As soon as she heard party, Pumpkin shouted "My Mom can bake something!"

Her teacher said it would have to be healthy snacks only.  Pumpkin, slightly offended now, told the teacher "My Mom can totally make a healthy math snack, baking or not!"

And so today, I walked to school with a very proud Pumpkin, toting a pink soft-side cooler.  We were swarmed by first-graders.  Pumpkin was adamant there would be no peeking until Math Party time.

I was asked if I baked something, or bought something.  I told the children that I didn't bake it, but I did make it.  They cheered.  Pumpkin grinned. 

Here is Math Melon Salad:


Watermelon squares, rectangles and triangles (not seen because they are kinda on the bottom) with Honeydew and Cantaloupe numbers.

It was really easy to make.  The watermelon was sliced and cut into shapes with a knife.  The other melons were sliced between 1/4 and 1/8 in thick (yes, I know, a Canadian giving dimensions in Imperial), and the numbers punched out with cookie cutters.  The scraps and remnants are in the fridge, and will be consumed tonight.

4 comments:

  1. I need to know where you get all these awesome cookie cutters. Or I will die.

    (Don't tell BDH I'm shopping around for cookie cutters. We already have storage issues for the billionty cookie cutters we currently have.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would *love* to tell you.

    The ones used for the Towel Day post came from HomeSense. They are tiny, and fit in a little round tin. The number cutters used for the salad were a gift. They are part of a *huge* set, that includes letters, shapes, modes of transportation, animals and holiday-type shapes.

    Psst - Kitchenboy, if you are reading, please tell Cinnamon where the cutters came from.

    ReplyDelete